8.21.2008

On Confessing

I was catching up on a blog I love and came across this post.
I thought it was so beautifully written, and such a departure from the burn him at the stake conversations I've been hearing about John Edwards. As you may realize from my previous post about election apathy, I don't really have strong feelings towards or against John Edwards. But what I keep seeing lately is this lack of grace.

A professor at Cincinnati Christian University left her 11 month old daughter in the car the other day, on accident. Someone said to me today they couldn't believe she was that stupid. This person that said it is a believer, a parent, and a generally all around compassionate person.
I saw a lack of grace, and I recognize it in myself.

The thing I liked the best about what Anne said, was that confession broke her heart in the revelation of sin, but also found her rejoicing and peaceful because of the steps towards restoration with God that confession brought with it.

I've confessed things before, and I've been met by condemnation and grace. Grace sure encourages me to go and sin no more then any disappointment filled sigh and I can't believe this happened condemnation ever has.
I hope that I can extend more grace then I'm capable of whenever someone is in need of it, because I know that I've sure been in need of some hefty grace in my life, and I will need even more of it in the future.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very well said!

Anne Jackson said...

i have to have it tattooed on my wrist because i am so terrible at remembering it. and receiving it when people are generous to give it...