8.21.2008

Providential Relationships

Providential: 1. peculiarly fortunate or appropriate; as if by divine intervention
Relationship: 1.a connection, association, or involvement. an emotional or other connection between people

I had two meetings tonight. The first one was just Ben and I talking about The Washington Project, which is an upcoming outreach project that you all will get details about later. We talked about the big picture and thoughts, and also about who we would want on a core team to help build this project and sustain it. A conversation was had about someone, someone that I have clashed with several times in the last few months. This someone that I see a really great leader in, but the leader is just buried under something I still can't even now put my finger on. I've been feeling for awhile now that this person could benefit from an intentional relationship. A relationship with someone that can build trust, and then speak into their life about the leadership qualities they are showing and how to tangibly work those out in a way that meshes with what I've seen as the leadership "style" at church. Those thoughts floated up again to me tonight, while talking about this person.
Then at the second meeting Ben talked about a lot of things, he talked about the call that God has on our lives and the patterns we have that keep us from embracing them. The one that is so close to my heart, time management was one of the two, financial management was the other. While I'm not perfect on the financial front, it's the time management that I struggle with myself. I see how overcommitment and busy busy busyness affect my relationship with God, and I see how it affects those of our volunteers. But the one that really has gotten me, the one that I haven't been able to shake all night was when Ben was talking about providential relationships. A relationship that is intentionally deeper, one that moves past how are the kids and what's new. A relationship that intentionally steps into another person's life and allows God to develop that relationship and grow it in a way that furthers his plan for both of the people, and his kingdom.
Oh, and did I mention that this person was at the second meeting, and sitting next to me? Did I mention that this person asked me for a ride home and asked me directly about the Washington project and how they could be involved in any way because they were so excited about it? Yeah...I get it God. I.Get.It.

This person and I have had our moments. Until literally yesterday I had my doubts that we would ever be able to basically get along. In the last 24 hours this yearning has been rising up in me to intentionally deepen and develop a friendship with this person. I mean, I'm by no means some great leader...but I so want to come alongside this person and help them see what an awesome leader they could be if only they developed that a little more.
Could this just be me thinking that I want people to like me...maybe, but usually when that happens I completely conform to what it is they want, and I don't want to do that here. I honestly want to find the burr in this persons saddle and remove it so they can fully embrace what God is doing in their life. (playing the pronoun game is hard) Could this be my irrational desire to "take care of wounded puppies" (as my mom said the other day.) I don't think so, because when that happens I feel pretty confident in my ability to "take care" of the situation. I have no idea what I'm doing here and I have little confidence in my ability to actually effect change.

Now comes the question...how do I do this?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're back! Hooray!

Now that THAT'S out of my system...

"I mean, I'm by no means some great leader...but I so want to come alongside this person and help them see what an awesome leader they could be if only they developed that a little more."

I think this sentence proves that you are a better leader than you give yourself credit for. I think part of leadership is not always leading the charge, but sometimes running alongside the other "soldiers" to encourage them along the way.

"(playing the pronoun game is hard)"
Ain't that the truth!!!

"my irrational desire to "take care of wounded puppies" "

Okay, this is probably semantics, but I'm going to go for it anyway. I don't think your desire to take care of wounded anything/anybody is ever irrational. I think it is a strong argument for your exceptional character. The choices you make concerning a way to effect change in that animal/person's life may or may not be rational, and may or may not be made with rational information. I think you're getting pretty good at not over-extending yourself by trying to fix everything and everyone all at once like you used to. There's nothing wrong with wanting to. In fact, I think there's something quite right about wanting to.

"Now comes the question...how do I do this?"

Just like you are right now: Slowly, consciously, and prayerfully. With a good measure of faith thrown in.