3.05.2008

Is it just me

I mean, especially now with the democratic race all riled up about Hilary staying in the race, people are so riled up.
I went to a reading by Anne Lamont at Borders on Monday and someone asked her about politics and she went off...I mean OFF about Bush and how he made her mentally ill for most of the first 3 years he was in office. Then she started talking about McCain, Obama, and Clinton.
She was awfully worked up into about it.

I just don't get it.
I mean, it's obvious to me just from the people I talk to, that this is something I SHOULD care about. I SHOULD have opinions and a deep desire to vote right? I should care about the issues and the laws and such right? IS that right?

Because I sort of just don't.
Confession:
I didn't vote yesterday

GASP! OMG! WTF! and the sort.

I can't quite muster up the energy to even really care. I mean I know who I probably would have voted for had I voted.
I got like 10 text messages and emails from people reminding me to vote. The thing is, they weren't just reminding me to vote, they were reminding me WHO to vote for which I find patently annoying.
I don't know that I've ever expressed to anyone an affiliation with one party or another personally or publicly. So why on earth would people think that I would vote for who they're "reminding" me to vote for....which indicates to me that I said I would vote for that person in the first place.

I don't really follow the issues and it honestly surprises me when people, Anne Lamont being one, have such fervor concerning the issue. When they use the terms war monger and fascist I just don't know where those opinions came from. I don't really get how they have the time on top of everything else to just collect this information.

I know it SHOULD be important to me. But it's sort of not.
Can't the delegates just decide who's the democratic candidate? I think I heard that somewhere. So does that mean that all of these Caucasus and primaries don't even really matter?
I honestly don't know.

But I do know that if Ohio had a caucus I would participate because then I could honestly say to people that "I caucused my ass off". I think that would be a fun thing to say in casual conversation.

Does this make me stupid? Does this make me socially or nationally irrelevant? Does this make me a cynic?
I mean, doesn't everyone talk about how the candidates make promises and don't keep them? Haven't we been working on health care reform and the abortion issue for like a million years? How's that working for us?
I mean, I have a pretty substantial chip on my shoulder about the American way...but I'm not sure that's governmentally driven as much as the attitude of entitlement to materialism that bugs me.

So is it just me? Am I the only one that could really care less about this whole drama that is unfolding and preempting my regularly scheduled broadcasts?

3 comments:

Katy said...

You know, I really don't care much either. I think we should move to france and eat bread all day.

Honestly though, it's frustrating when people tell you who to vote for. Everyone thinks that their oppinion is the right one and everyone either does or should agree with them.

Mommyto3 said...

I have voted every year since I was of age. Sometimes my choices won, sometimes they didn't. I won't tell you who I voted for, but I believe that it is every American's civil responsibilty to vote. You can't be naieve to think that your vote doesn't matter, because it does. Why else would the candidates or the issue leaders be stomping all over the area to get your support?

Anonymous said...

I read this before work this morning, but couldn't find the right way to convey what I wanted to say. So I thought about it at work, and this is what I've got:

I don't understand how you can feel so deeply in your soul that even the slightest effort to better society can make a world of difference whether you realize it at the time or not, and yet you fail to grasp the power of your vote.

End rant.

XOXO