4.02.2009

You got me begging you for mercy

Mercy: compassionate or kindly forbearance shown toward an offender, an enemy, or other person in one's power; compassion, pity, or benevolence

Last night at bible study we talked about mercy. There was a question that Beth Moore posed in the homework about mercy and trust. She asked about a time that we had a hard time trusting someone and if/how we showed them mercy in that situation.
I may have gone on a tangent. Maybe.
I talked about how I get into conversations with people a lot about mercy. I wonder how much mercy is enough mercy. Is there such a thing? At what point do we cut people off, tell them "Sorry, you have used up your allotted amount of mercy good day. I said good day!"

I seem to fight myself about mercy. My natural inclination is to cross my arms and stomp my feet. Because I have some wounds and they're all so serious and terrible, poor me wounds. But they often push me to not pursue relationships, and to certainly anticipate the dramatic demise of any relationship at any given time.
However, there is this other part of me. The part that has healed. The part that hears the call for mercy so clearly. I know that mercy, that relationships and forgiveness healed some of my wounds faster than anything else. So I can't possibly think to withhold it from other people. I also think about how God forgives and the abundant amount of grace and mercy that he bestows on us. I wonder, who exactly do I think I am to refuse something that God himself does not refuse?

I know there are places that say people can harden their hearts to God, and his mercy. But when does that happen? What's the magic number of stubborn stamps of the foot that cause God to say, "Ok...moving on. Good Day!" Because I don't know, do you? Don't you think that means we should err on the side of extending more grace, more mercy?
God is the ultimate judge on all these things. If we give mercy to someone that doesn't deserve it, God will take care of that (read them). If we refuse mercy to someone that deserved it, God will take care of that (read us).
I don't really know all the answers to this. I know that sometimes, showing mercy to someone can seem weak. But I'm really not interested in appearing strong. I'm interested in allowing God to work through me, extending mercy where there may be none. Because I know that it saves lives. I know that it draws people closer to a God that saves.
Matthew 5:7 Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy

1 Timothy 1:16 But I received mercy for this reason, that in me,
as the foremost, Jesus Christ might display his perfect patience as an
example to those who were to believe in him for eternal

James 2:13 13 For judgment is without mercy to one who has shown no mercy.
Mercy triumphs over judgment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have I told you how much I love your layout?

I usually read you in Google reader, and then jump to your actual blog when I wanna comment. It's always so refreshing!

Anywho... This struck me:

"But I'm really not interested in appearing strong."

Not only is it awesome that you don't give a flying fart about how people perceive you, but it's scrumptiously ironic too!

Love an miss you!