3.16.2009

I'm Stupid

The wise man saves for the future
Stupid people spend their money as fast as they can get it.
Proverbs 21:20

I'm stupid. We're going through a financial series at church and one of the verses Ben referenced today was the one above. I realized that I'm stupid. Before you get your britches all riled up (I'm looking at you two Pete and Jake) I realize I'm not stupid. But according to this Proverb I am in fact, stupid.

I don't have any credit card debt. I have no car payment. I owe just around $10K on my student loans still. The only real debt I have is my house. I earn a decent income and that is padded from several other additional income sources. It really shouldn't be as hard as I'm trying to make it.
I have a budget, that I do not stick to. If I would just stick to the budget I would be able to pay all the bills as their coming in and save some (not a lot, not by a long shot) but some.
I don't have debt, but I don't have a plan for my financial future (other then passively investing in a mutual fund and my 401K...but that's all automatic and I barely notice that's happening). I can uncomfortably manage my monthly financial flow, but if something...anything happened I would be done in.

I'm hoping to change all that. Like today. Since I got my tax refund I can catch up and get ahead of the ball financially while still being able to do some stuff to my house I want. I'm hoping to find a system, a financial rhythm that is more sustainable....actually...if I'm going to be honest, a financial rhythm that lasts longer than an hour.
I am absolutely terrified.
I feel like I'll be left out of something if I don't spend money. Which doesn't make sense because most of the people I know don't have any money either. Money seems to be an area of shame for me for reasons that I can never quite put my finger on. If I have some I want to give it all away because I have to much. If I don't have any than I connect my bank balance to my actual worth. It's an odd feeling, and one that God's digging out from the depths of my heart.

Let's see how this goes...

5 comments:

Mommyto3 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mommyto3 said...

Let us now remember that our bank account amount is in no way relation to our self worth.

ahem, I was paying attention...

Anonymous said...

Chill! I totally got what you meant...


I'm thinking your sister can totally help keep you on track, as frugal as she is. At least as far as saving money on what you need to buy.

Creating a budget or plan is always stressful, and it sucks when you look at what you've spent over the last year without anything to show for it.

The freedom that follows once you make a plan and stick to it is awesome though.

Cody's hours just got cut at work, so we're tightening up here, too.

ellenjane said...

@Sharen...I actually totally meant to add that part, but forgot. I was really late at night in my defense.

@Jake...I have a budget, I just don't stick to it. Which is the problem. In reality, I have all the money I need for the small amount of bills I have. There is no financial reason for me to be strapped. If I would stick to the budget I could pay my bills and have some cash left over to do a few fun things (or save up for other things). But I don't stick to it. Boooo!

Etepay said...

Perhaps I can help when I get down there, not just by paying rent.

Power in numbers. :) I'll need to work on a budget once I get out of here. I'm used to living on nothing, so it should be a bit easier for me. lol.

Everything in time my dear. If I showed you my checkbooks right now you might feel better.