3.30.2009

Cancun Day 4: Wednesday; Part 3

Well, let's finish this series up already!
Here's part 1 and 2 of Day 4. You can click on the Cancun label to see the rest of the day.

After we bought some stuff from Elizabeth and her mom it was time to split up on our own for about an hour. Nicole and I headed out to this other area where there was an observatory. It's the only circular building at Chitzen Itza.
Here's Nicole and I standing in front of it:


The door you see on the side is positioned perfectly (of course) so that when the summer and winter solstice occurred the rays from the sun would line up and confirm that it was happening. It could have told them other things, but I don't remember. I was transfixed by the grandness of these architectural feats.

We also saw other things like this, which I thought just looked like a face. Other than that I have no idea what it is:


We also saw a nunnery:



After our time on our own we were off to lunch. We piled back on the bus and drove just a few miles to a park area that held the sink hole. There were quite a few sink holes around because of the area being mainly limestone. As the underwater springs run through it would erode the earth from underneath until eventually the land would collapse. Here's the sink hole we went to:


Those are not waterfalls, they are tree roots that are falling down into the water. Nicole and I walked down the stairs and dipped out toes into the cold water. There were fish swimming around, they freaked me out. This sink hole was hundreds of feet below the surface and another several hundred feet of water. Here's the view from the bottom of the sink hole:


After hightailing it back to the bus we rode the 3 hours back home. I watched (but could only sometimes hear) 8 pounds with Will Smith on the bus and pissed Nicole off when I guessed what the main point of the movie was and how the title came about after only 1/4 of the movie and hearing only 1/2 the words. :)

That night we had a terrible dinner at the other a la cart restaurant. I ordered BBQ chicken, and it was pretty much just chicken with warm ketchup on it. So we took a detour to the buffet on the way to the room and collapsed into bed. It was a long day. As you know since it took me 3 posts and a rant about just one day.

Day 5 coming soon! (Like you're really holding your breath :) )

No comments: