4.07.2008

Exhaustion: Why listening to slow depressing music isn't a good idea

I'm so freakin tired!
Saturday I served at Kite Fest from 11ish-5 and had to hike the back forty to and from my car.
Sunday I did preschool worship 4 times (2 classes each service) and was jumping and dancing and shouting the whole time
As soon as church was over Sunday I sped (literally) to VOA park to serve at Kite Fest again until a smidge after 5. Then I had to hike about 8,000 miles (no I'm NOT exaggerating and I'm insulted you would imply that) back to my car, where I fell to the ground weeping with joy that I was finally there.
Then I sped (literally) to Finneytown for a bible study at 6. I was there until 8ish and then crawled home and just layed in bed...I was so tired.

Then I got up this morning and 5am and went to City Gospel...boy that alarm went off sooner then I would have liked..I was soooo tired.
But I got up and went, holding my eyes open all the way down 75. Then work today. Well I was feeling like I needed some calm music, because all weekend it was screaming kids and loud music and all that fun stuff you find at festivals. So I started listening to:
The Weepies (Happiness)
The Frames (For the Birds)
Sufjan Stevens (Seven Swans)

I mean they're not all depressing, although some of them are (Like, When your heart just stops...I almost cried). Mostly it's like alternative, folky goodness that lets me just focus on work and not be overwhelmed by auditory stimulation (because that + a tired and cranky Bethany doesn't end well for anyone)
But the problem was, some of the songs that are mostly instrumental LULLED me to sleep! I fell asleep a few times. I mean not for more then like 3 seconds...but it was the whole head drooping and when my chin hits my chest or shoulder I jerk awake thing.
Man I'm so sleepy.

I've been trying to drink ice water and a mountain dew to stay awake and all that did was make me have to pee a lot...which annoyed me because I had to move.
Oh, I can hear my bed calling my name!

Here are the lyrics to "When a heart stops working" by the Frames. It about made me cry (which you know I hate)

So what happens when the heart just stops
Stops caring for anyone
The hollow in your chest dries up
And you stop believing
So what happens when the heart gives up
But the body goes on living
The blood crawls to a slow and stops
And flows away
Well we got no-one to meet
No love we would beseech
We only have ourselves to blame for everything
The was no answer in the dust
And I'm missing you so much
And now you're sleeping
And I'm leaving Empty-handed waiting
Time it will subside and we'll agree
It was a given
Well there was no standard we could set
And the world it does regret
To have to leave you in this state of bereavement
You see I'm feeling everything
Nothing gets by
There is a hollow in my chest
The time I won't forget
There is no comfort in the eyes
They put us always to the test
I can't prepare myself for that
But I work it out in time
There is a love that flows between us
Ever-changing everyday
I worked myself up to a crawl
But I'm not fearing it at all
We have no reason left to stay
And that's why we're leaving
And there was no answer in the dust
And the one I feared to trust
There is a lie that drags us
Beating and pulling into disappointment
I'm disappointed I'm disappointed I'm disappointed
It's so late, till you're gone

No comments: