3.04.2008

The last time I cried

Was today on my lunch break.
I mentioned Denise to a friend that didn't know the story (which I try to not do) and he asked me what the story was.
Everytime it seems this grief has abated even a little it washes over me anew.

In 1 months and 20 days it will have been 8 years. Eight years can that be right?
Eight years since a middle of the night phone call changed my life.

It is my hope, that all of you, even in the midst of family feuds and arguments both astronomical and petty, tell those you love and cherish that you love and cherish them.
I was stopped at a light because fire trucks and ambulances were rushing by on their way to an emergency.
It snapped me back to seeing the ambulance driving away with no lights on, to hearing the officer tell Denise's sister that she was dead when they got there.

I wonder when I'll be able to think of her without thinking of that night. More and more I'm realizing that may be never.

We do not have an unlimited amount of chances to communicate our love for people. Even living in America, in *insert small town name here*, things happen. Cars crash, robbers rob, murderers murder, accidents happen.
Do not assume that you have the luxury of throwing terrible words at people because you may not get a chance to make up for them later.

Tell people you love them, show them you love them. Don't wait until you have to tell them at their funeral.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love and cherish YOU, m'dear!

Katy said...

It was very brave of you to share what you did. I meant to tell you that yesterday. It's hard when all you want to do is keep your grief to yourself because it seems it would be easier, but I hope you always know that there are people who love you and want to share your grief with you. Even if we didn't experience it then, we are here to share it with you now.