2.25.2008

"I don't really know what kind of girl I am"

That was something that Juno said after she told her parents she was pregnant.
As I sat there watching the movie I realized that was essentially the phrase I was repeating in my head. That I didn't know who I was, what I wanted, and why. I think that was true for a very long time. But I don't think it's true anymore.
I think what's true now is that I know exactly what I want, and who I am but I'm spending so much time looking back at who I was that I can't muster up the courage to step out in faith onto the path that God is showing me.

Juno was an amazing movie. The nonchalant exterior, the sardonic wit, the blank face as she waddled pregnant down the hall as people saw only the belly and not who she really was. I so related to this 16 year old....and I'm thinking it's time for me to grow up.
Juno came home and was talking to her dad. She said she just needed to know that 2 people can stay together for the long haul (or something of the sort). Her dad replied:

"Look, in my opinion the best thing you can do is find a person who loves you for exactly what you are. Good mood, bad mood, ugly, pretty, handsome, what-have-you. The right person is still going to think the sun shines out of your ass. That's the kind of person that's worth sticking with."

This all made me laugh and think about all of my commitment phobia and how I don't know how to get over it but I so terribly want to. I'm thinking (based on the what-for conversation that Tony and I had after the movie that I'm going to be pushed and prodded that way even if I'm kicking and screaming the whole way.

I mean it was a great movie. So great that I can't even really tell you how great it was. Go see it now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved it, loved it loved it!!!

Why isn't "pork swords" in everyone's vocabulary?

Mommyto3 said...

"Look, in my opinion the best thing you can do is find a person who loves you for exactly what you are. Good mood, bad mood, ugly, pretty, handsome, what-have-you. The right person is still going to think the sun shines out of your ass. That's the kind of person that's worth sticking with."


Ahhhhh shucks. I laughed so hard at work, I cried. That was so great!!!!