2.25.2008

Mullet: Thoughts on an amazing weekend

Thoughts on the best weekend ever:

Oh my gosh it was the best weekend ever and it's making me grin a ridiculously large amount for no reason.

So Friday I had a half day and met with Ryan about outreach stuff. It's starting to gear up and I'm so stoked about the plans that are being made. I also talked to Jen and Michelle and they're getting started on launching a monthly outreach for people to plug into. Just thinking about the possibilities in front of the 4Corners outreach ministry are terrifying and so exciting that I"m getting goose bumps at exactly the same time.

Saturday I went to a small group leader meeting as we launched an on ramp for small groups on Sunday. We've had small groups all along, we're just becoming more intentional about giving people opportunities to get in them....if that makes sense. Ryan emailed me today and so far I have 16 people and counting in the Serving Cincinnati group that I"m leading.....man oh man what an opportunity for impacting our community and Cincinnati as a whole. I think this whole leadership thing is starting to sink in as I'm beginning to finally feel more excited then terrified.

After the meeting I headed to Sharen's and we went wedding dress shopping! She tried on about 7 or 8 dresses and found 3-4 that she liked. So now it's on to narrowing it down and paying for it. August 16th is the day and I think we just might make it!
Sharen, Jen (another bridesmaid), and I met Jeff (future brother in law), Doug (groomsman), and the kids (Matthew my nephew and Ethan Jens son) at Applebees and had the worst experience ever. I mean, we sent back 1 appetizer and 4 entrees because they were as cold as if they were sitting under an air conditioning vent and waited forever for everything (including silverware and drinks). Plus Sharen and Jen took the kids to the bathroom and saw a server not wash her hands....then when Jen asked her about it the server argued with her about it! Sheesh.

But that still didn't dampen my weekend because Tony had called and we were going to see Juno on Sunday!

So Sunday I went to church and observed Lexi as she led kids chapel and went to the 1-2 year olds and sang and played with them. I think I'm going to be serving there on a few Sundays a month starting in March (and yes I realize that's next week).
After church I went to a yummy Chinese buffet with Bobbie and Justin and Justin's parents. It was so good and I ate way to much.
Tony was meeting me at my house for the movie, but because of the bath bandit roommate he was late and we missed the start time (and I'm talking actual movie start time) by about 5 minutes, and we didn't want to risk missing something hip and relevant.
So we sped across to another theater and Tony checked the times on his snazzy phone (that I'm SO not jealous of) and we made it with about 30 minutes to spare at another showing.
Since we had time to kill we had a drink at the bar (I KNOW) inside the movie theater and I sat next to a man with the most glorious mullet!

But Tony and I also had an interesting conversation about things that cannot be mentioned here, he reenacted a face he made and I am still laughing about it.

I'm going to address the actual movie in another blog as this is getting long...but BEST.MOVIE.EVER
Tony and I left and went straight to Best Buy to get the soundtrack. I also priced the 2nd season of Party of 5 (who's excited!) The soundtrack is just as good as the movie. So irreverent and folky.
We had another conversation on the way to Best Buy. Apparently the last blog really hacked off a few people because I got "talked to" twice in one day about it! Bobbie at church, and Tony in the car. Both of them said lovely things and encouraged me in ways that I can't quite articulate yet. Tony said this, "I tell people that you're an amazing person, when are you going to get it through your head that it's true" or something to that effect.
We talked about my last blog and the junk that I'm cleaning out of my head...and it helped.
I think we're settling into this friendship nicely.

I went home and Tony went home and I got all settled in to watch the Oscars. Jon Stewart did such a great job, he was so funny and sarcastic and right on point. I laughed out loud more this year then a lot of the most recent years.

So great weekend. Good friends, time spent with people just living life. So much laughter and honest conversation.

(All the more proof that just being straight with someone is the best way don't you think?)

No comments: