2.20.2008

CS Lewis Quotes that I Like

Eros will have naked bodies; Friendship naked personalities.


Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.


Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art... It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things that give value to survival.


I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.


No one ever told me that grief felt so like fear. <---probably my favorite one


There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, "Thy will be done," and those to whom God says, "All right, then, have it your way."


We all want progress, but if you're on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; in that case, the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive.

This year, or this month, or, more likely, this very day, we have failed to practise ourselves the kind of behaviour we expect from other people


Everyone feels benevolent if nothing happens to be annoying him at the moment.

God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in our conscience, but shouts in our pains: it is His megaphone to rouse a deaf world


Surely what a man does when he is taken off his guard is the best evidence for what sort of man he is

At this very moment you and I are either committing [selfishness], or about to commit it, or repenting it


Prostitutes are in no danger of finding their present life so satisfactory that they cannot turn to God: the proud, the avaricious, the self-righteous, are in that danger


Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained

No comments: