10.29.2007

Is it worth the cost?

I was watching 60 Minutes last night and they were doing a series of interviews with people in Afghanistan about one specific bombing that happened. US Defense said they bombed because they had Intel that OBL's second in command was there with his family. Well, they were partially right. The second in commands family of 10 was there. Only 1 survived, a son that was about 7 maybe. Understandably the Afghans view on the "saving grace" of America has changed a bit. I realize that my cynicism of America is coming out a lot on here as opposed to other places, and I'm not entirely sure why. Most days I don't think about it to much, but lately I'm just weary of the complaining about how hard it is to afford coffee and technology we don't actually need. But I digress.....
The interviewer was talking to the DOD or some super important thing like that, and was asking him about the aforementioned bombing. The interview guy said the cost of the bombing was analyzed to make sure the cost wasn't to high for the chance to kill this second in command. The 60 Minutes guy said, "but is it worth the cost?" My question exactly.
Do you ever have those moments when your ears prick up and the rest of the content fades away and all you can focus on is that one clarifying question, statement, thought? It happens to me a lot. Where do you think these blogs come from?
Is this anger, this vengeance, this blood thirsty need to get even worth the cost of our separateness, of our hatred, or our broken families, friendships, and relationships? Is the lust and instant release (sorry) worth the repercussions of an accidental baby that ties you to someone you loathe for the rest of your life? Please please I'm not saying the baby isn't worth it but I am pressed to come up with 3 examples of people that make that scenario work and work well. For that matter, is it worth the gratification when you look in the mirror and see someone that you loathe because of the actions you partook in the night before?
The cost is to high to traipse through life all accidental like, it's to high to storm out of the room tossing hate filled words over your shoulder. The cost is to high to not be kind, patient, generous.
Ah yes, how easy it is for the girl to say I think. I have this perception that people think so little of me, that they think I can't be on this soapbox because I don't have a lot of strife in my life. But why don't I?
I have been working on this Halloween party for church this week. Late nights at the end of a day started super early, followed by another day just the same. It's just stuffing eggs people, it's just candy and eggs. What matters is the conversations that were started. Meeting Joan, getting to know the Burtons more. Serving others. This keeps me from focusing on my not having a computer, on my not having someone warm waiting at home (well that isn't a kitten).
The fastest way I can think of to get out of the dumps is start serving others, it works 100% of the time for me.
If servant evangelism is reaping you large rewards, can it still be considered servant evangelism?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I missed your posts so much! I'm glad you shared this address with us so that we can follow along!