12.02.2010

The Story Sisters

The Story Sisters is another Alice Hoffman book. They're like drugs. I feel so enveloped in the characters and stories trying to figure out what is going to happen. Sometimes I catch myself holding my breath while I read.

From the cover:
The Story Sisters charts the lives of three sisters- Elv, Claire, and Meg. Each has a fate she must meet alone: one on a country road, one in the streets of Paris, and one in the corridors of her own imagination. Inhabiting their world are a charismatic man who cannot tell the truth, a neighbor who is not who he appears to be, a clumsy boy in Paris who falls in love and stays there, a detective who finds his heart's desire, and a demon who will not let go.
What does a mother do when one of her children goes astray? How does she save one daughter without sacrificing the others? How deep can love go, and how far can it take you? These are the questions this luminous novel asks.
At once a coming-of-age tale, a family saga, and a love story of longing, The Story Sisters sifts through the miraculous and the mundane as the girls become women and their choices haunt them, change them and, finally redeem them.
This was darker than the others so far. More fantastical with the talk of the Arnish World and the demons residing there. But it was still good. I was caught up in the redemption story of the sisters relationships with each other and their mother, wondering how to keep on believing in someone even when all the hope seems wrung clear out of them.
I also found myself repeating the Arnish words because, well they were weird and I needed to see how they felt when you said them if that makes any sense at all.

No comments: