9.16.2010

Took My Love

I keep you like pictures on a shelf and petals in a scrapbook, pressed between the pages of my memories.
A little petal dust here, some old fashioned photo negatives there and you swirl around mixing in with what remains.

I'm taking you down. My love, I'm taking you down and turning around leaving you in the cast aside.
My reflection so vivid to me recently reveals that it is time, time to let go of the ocean tides and seasons that have passed and passed and passed me by.

Because time is marching on and I am remaining like a child staring longingly through a glass darkly. Wondering what it is that is being held from me, wondering what it is I cannot see.

It, having just now occurred to me that what is being obscured has been obscured by someone far more knowing than I.

I'm getting bolder as I get older, Stevie says this and I am finding that it is true. I'm finding that I care less what you say and think and do. It's hard, this caring less. This wondering if I'm being selfish and aloof, bratty and unkind. It's the landslide of finding the unkindness is not in taking my love down and allowing it to blow like petal dust across my floors, the unkindness is remaining still as a child peering up through a glass darkly at you perched so loftily above all else in my heart.

So I'm taking this love of mine and I'm taking it down. Climbing to the top of the mountain and throwing it off into the wind so I cannot see where it scatters. Time has made me bolder, because even children have to get older.
Took my love and I took it down
Climbed a mountain and I turned around
And I saw my reflection in the snow covered hills
Well, the landslide brought me down

Oh, mirror in the sky, what is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Well, I've been afraid of
changin'
'Cause I've built my life around you
But time makes bolder, children get older
I'm getting older too, well

Well, I've been afraid of
changin'
'Cause I've built my life around you
But time makes bolder, children get older
I'm getting older too, well, I'm getting older too

So take this love and take it down
Yeah, and if you climb a mountain and you turn around
And if you see my reflection in the snow covered hills
Well, the landslide brought down

And if you see my reflection in the snow covered hills
Well maybe, well maybe, well maybe
The landslide will bring you down

Fleetwood Mac -Landslide

No comments: