9.15.2010

Catching Fire

Catching Fire is the 2nd book in the Hunger Games trilogy. I read it originally the day after Christmas 2009 in like 6 hours or something. It was amazing.
After scarfing down Mockingjay in 5 1/2 hours a few weeks back I decided to re-read the whole trilogy one after the other.

I just like them all equally. It would be lovely to say that I liked one better than the other but I just didn't. They were so similar and different at the same time.

From the inside flap:
Against all odds, Katniss has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and her longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol--a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create.
Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest she's afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she's not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can't prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying.
As I read through this book I was talking through Mockingjay and the entire series with some friends and I think that the thing I like the most, which is most evident to me at least in the 2nd book, is that Katniss is just a girl. There are holes throughout the story and they are there because Katniss doesn't know everything about the situation, which kids don't. So to me it would seem odd if she was an all knowing protagonist because kids rarely know everything. Now, Katniss gets it wrong a lot and to me that's a true thing. Because when kids only know a little bit, they fill the rest in with their imagination and she did in a lot of places.

Have I mentioned I love this series? Go read it already so I don't have to keep telling you!

No comments: