7.19.2010

Beautifully Frightened

I've quoted before the Anais Nin quote:
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than
the risk it took to blossom.
It's one of my favorites, because it so resonates with me.
I read on Don Miller's blog a series where his dog wrote blog posts. The first one was about how he came to live with Don and the follow paragraph in particular really got me.

I know now that was the day I was picked and being picked is a beautiful thing.
But I also know beautiful things are frightening. When something beautiful
happens it’s sometimes like an amputation, like your heart is being cut out with
a knife. You don’t ever think when you are in extreme pain that you are being
saved, chosen, picked for relationship, set aside to be loved. You can never
really believe pain. It’s almost always something beautiful transitioning to
something better, the whole time masquerading as a tragedy. (via this blog post)

Because that is so where I have been living in the last few months. I've been struggling back and forth with old demons and lies that I'm just tired of wrestling with. I've been slip sliding in and out of thought patterns and beliefs that I had decreed long since dead.
But I'm opening up to more people and making brave decisions that honestly should have been made years ago.
I'm realizing, "you can never really believe pain. It's almost always something beautiful transitioning to something better, the whole time masquerading as a tragedy" I'm learning to live in the set aside.

No comments: