2.23.2009

You and I were made to worship

Worship: reverent honor and homage paid to God

Seems like that would be simple enough. But what does it mean?

Reverence is defined as many things:
feeling, exhibiting, or characterized by reverence; deeply respectful
Disposed to revere; impressed with reverence; submissive; humble; respectful
feeling or showing profound respect or veneration

Oh, well that clears it up.'
I went to Church 922 Saturday, I have some friends that help start that church and it's always great when I go there. It's a completely different church experience then the church I call home. There is shouting out, exuberant raising and waving of hands. There is a group in the corner that jumps and almost moshes, rocking forward and back almost violently if you didn't see it in context with all these other expressions of worship.
There was a man dancing and just rocking out in the aisle next to me and there was a man in front of him in a wheelchair. I'd seen him standing previously when I was there before, it seems he has a degenerative illness of some kind, MS maybe? But he was working his hands up in the air and in a way that was seemingly intuitive some men came around him and helped him stand. The man from the wheelchair stood and lifted his arms high in the air, all the while these two men stood with their arms at his waist, supporting him while he worshiped.

It's not that I think this church, or my church are worshiping wrong, I don't even think there is such a thing as worshiping wrong. I was just struck by how different it is from my usual church experience. I love that there is such diversity and so many different places that teach the bible but all look different. It a fitting together of the body of Christ, with a place for everyone.

The second part of this is just my own over thinking and confusion on what worship is supposed to look like, because I'm a clear cut answer kind of girl sometimes. I, at the exact same time, want someone to spell it out for me step by step what worship should look like, and how it should feel when I'm "doing it right". But I also love the mystery behind it. I love the moment when worship takes you by surprise and you feel God moving corporately. Maybe I need to find a mysterious step by step description...

1 comment:

Etepay said...

How different it can be? You just described how I felt the first time I attended your church, but like you I have grown fond of the differences, sometimes they make me a little uncomfortable, but that is my issue.

I grew up being told the "proper" way to worship and it turned me against so much of it now, later in life. Of course now things have changed even in my own church.

I grew up not being allowed to clap for a performer...it was taboo. Christian music was hymns and hymns alone, none of this "rock" christian music.

It's taken me awhile to break free from these and sometimes I still find it difficult to allow myself to experience other ideas of worship, but I make myself because it's so much fun!

I don't think there is a "right" way to worship, I think any worship is awesome, "whatever floats your boat"

If you find that manual of things to do and not do, please forward it to me. :)