2.22.2009

Memories, from the corner of my mind

When I was younger my sister and I would get our hair cut by this woman in Bellevue. I don't remember her name, I think she lived out by Lyme Village, but I can't be to sure. My memory isn't always to be trusted.
She ran her salon out of her house. There was a huge deck on the back. She used to give us little Avon lipstick samples whenever we got our hair cut (and maybe permed I can't really remember). I don't think we went there long, maybe even just a few times. However, this is what I really remember about that place (and keep in mind my memory is often not to be trusted):

I remember being told that it was illegal for her to cut hair in her house, something about the hair getting in her families food. When I think of the first part I smell that perm solution they would squirt on your hair. So we had to take a round about way to her house, and when we pulled in we had to enter by the back door to avoid detection. So we would walk to the left of her garage and down a concrete path into what seemed to me to be a thick forest. This woman would be waiting for us and waving us in while shushing us.
I remember always having to go to the bathroom when I was a kid, and this woman's house was no exception. I remember the yellow flowery wallpaper in her potty and a crack that ran all the way up and down her wall.
When I came I came out of the bathroom I asked the lady why her wall was broken. She took me back into the bathroom and showed me how to push on a piece of the wall. When she did, the wall began to move, and swing out. It was a secret entrance to the rest of her house, the part that she lived in! I asked her why she had something like that. She replied that it was illegal for her to run a salon out of her house, so she had to hide it in case the police raided. I'm pretty sure that's not true, but I always felt so top secret agent when I would go and get my hair cut there.

If Sharen or I were getting our hair done we would stay inside, but when it was my mom's turn to get her hair done we were allowed to go outside. There was a HUGE multi-level deck off the back of her house, in what looked to me to be like a forest. It was perpetually dusky back there because of the canopy of trees. There was a porch (deck) swing and stairs everywhere. Sharen and I would wander around there for what seemed like hours, but in all likelihood it was maybe 30 minutes.

We didn't go there for long, shortly thereafter Hair Plus opened in Clyde and we started going there, because some ladies from our church opened it. But there was always a part of me that wondered, if the cops had raided and shuttered the illegal hair salon in Bellevue.

1 comment:

LaCourse said...

Ahh.. reminds me of the illegal massage therapy business I run out of my home. ;)