1.09.2009

Doubt

I suck at reviewing things, just so you're aware. I went and saw Doubt tonight, I wanted to see it, but also because there was a thread about it on a forum that I really wanted to read, but was afraid I would spoiler the movie.
It was really good, intense. At one point I was convinced that someone wouldn't be leaving a room alive, and as I told Heather I wasn't sure which one I wanted to die.
Do not go see this movie if you like neatly wrapped up movies that leaving you feeling better about life, because the ending is abrupt and I sat there for a few more moments wondering if they were going to show something else. Surely they must. But they didn't.

But I still thought the movie was great. Phillip Seymour Huffman and Meryl Streep did amazing jobs, which isn't surprising to me at all. PSH as a priest gave some really great illustrations, the best of which was about gossip. I just sat there stunned at what he said and thinking about how great of a description is was of gossip. Streep's glasses made her eyes look huge and owlesque, which mesmerized me and made it seem like she was trying to see everything she possibly could, even things that might not have been there.
The scenery was stark which I liked. It was set in late fall, bare trees. It made me feel the desperation felt by PSH and Streep, and even Adams.
Very good all around. I highly recommend it, if you like these types of movies that is.

1 comment:

Etepay said...

I thought I would watch it, but now I'm not sure. I hate abrupt endings. I usually end up leaving very angry, so I might just want to avoid this one. :)