12.27.2008

Collateral Damage

Sometimes, the damage isn't readily visible. Sometimes, when people do bad things, make bad choices, the consequences don't happen for years and years.
When the shit hits the fan, sometimes you find splatters of it decades and decades after the initial collision occurred.

My heart aches for those neither wrong or right, for those that weren't even alive when the shit hit the fan, for those that have no choice in the way generational sin plays out.
I can only hope. Hope that we learn the lessons, that we offer kindness and patience in lieu of name calling and shouting matches. I hope that we can look past wrongs that have been done against us and the ugliness that they brought into this family line and see the good in people.
I hope that my tears will dry, that I can find the words, that I can have arms big enough to comfort and a heart big enough it can be stitched back together once again.

It doesn't have to be this way, it shouldn't be this way. God's design and purpose are so much bigger than this anger and disdain we hold for each other. God's design is for good, for peace, for love. God's design is for the present and for longing for a future when he will reign over a righted world.
Until then, I'm left with the collateral damage and the hope in Christ now and for the future.

No comments: