11.06.2008

I hear the sound of pulling heaven down

I've been thinking (and talking) a lot of about actions/words/thoughts and their relationships with each other, or their apparent disconnect from each other.
Especially wearing this bracelet that I'm switching back and forth whenever I criticize, complain, or gossip I'm noticing just how often the words that spew out of my mouth, the thoughts that swirl around in my head, don't match what my heart really longs to say.
How often does what I say and how I act pull Heaven down?

My actions don't match my words, my words don't match my thoughts, and my thoughts don't match my heart. How then can I expect anyone else to understand what I'm saying or doing if I can't even match up those things?
Hmmmm.......
I guess what I'm trying to say is, when you say that something is important to you, when you say that you believe in something, that you want to live your life a certain way but you don't...why is that?
I do understand (trust me I totally understand) that people aren't perfect and aren't going to live that way 100%, but sometimes, it seems like I don't even try.
Sometimes I feel like it's just to hard to eat better, not cuss, not avoid temptation. Sometimes I feel like it's just easier to give in and ignore the pangs in my heart that causes.
It is totally easier.
But that doesn't make it better, or right.

In Matthew 6 Jesus teaches us to pray, and gives us the Lord's prayer (one or two of you may have heard of it). In it He says, "Your Kingdom come, Your will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven"...or for those of you old schoolers that memorized it before the NIV, "Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven" (it always sounds awkward to me when it doesn't have the word Thy in it, and I'm so not even close to being a KJV (king james version) girl)
That's not later, when we're older. That's not when we're dead and go to Heaven, that's not when the book of Revelation begins (or ends, or is in the middle of happening, I am by no means clear on that whole end times topics and I don't even want to get started on it). It's now. What are you doing NOW to bring as much of God's kingdom to earth today, this minute?
What am I doing? What could I be doing? What could you do?

Have you ever had someone pull Heaven down for you?

2 comments:

Etepay said...

I think I am that person 5 out of 7 days.








I need to work on that.

Anonymous said...

My biggest fault (in my own eyes) is not being able to figure out how to take the steps necessary to change the things I want to change.

And to answer your question, you pull heaven down for me all the time.

*funny but true: When I tried to post this, I got the word verification wrong. My second word?
esitypo
You just can't make this stuff up!