9.04.2008

Buying a House is hard, and sometimes annoying

So the inspection was yesterday and went ok. Nothing major was found, the worst being the master shower but we're asking for money to fix that.
The thing is, the seller was there, the wife specifically. That really hacked my inspector off, because he said it was our time to pick apart the house and see if it was worth buying and she was getting in the way. She also was lamenting how much she didn't want to move, because she loved the house and it was there first house, they don't have anywhere to live yet, they're going to be homeless blah blah blah. She said, everyday I hope this deal falls through so I can stay in my house, even though we've so outgrown it, but my husband is set on moving...
Whatever, no big deal.
Later Brian (the inspector) said he overheard the seller on the phone talking to her husband about the THREE houses they were interested in and trying to decide which house to put an offer in on. Plus, the pool table had already been taken apart, the pool emptied and was about to be taken down and the garage was filled with packed boxes where there previously were none.

Today as I'm going over what we want on the addendum which includes 2 things we want them to fix and 1 we want them to give us the money to fix I start thinking about how hard I drove the price down from their original asking price ($10k below what they listed it for). Later my realtor calls and tells me that he was going over with their realtor what I was listing on the addendum and that we would have it to her by first thing tomorrow morning when their realtor started talking about their "cold feet". Oh, their realtor is worried because they seem to be wavering and not wanting to sell, oh the wife just doesn't want to leave at all, they're not sure anymore so don't be surprised if they aren't willing to fix those things on the addendum.
What.Ever.
So I tell my realtor that it sounds to me like they're playing a game and hoping that I back off of my pushiness on pricing and other monetary issues because they've already disclosed they'll be short selling if they go lower. I tell him that it seems to me like they're trying to play a pity card and see how much I want this house. "Oh...yeah yeah yeah, that sounds about right, huh" my realtor replies.
I then tell my realtor as clearly as possible that while I love this house, while I feel at home in this house, while I want this house so so bad I am FULLY prepared to completely walk away if they don't meet my demands on the addendum. I told him that I had some negotiation that I was willing to do and that was it, after that I wash my hands and rent an apartment and start looking again. I told my realtor that he could feel free to pass that message along to the sellers realtor since she felt free to tell him how "shaky the sale might be"

I don't like getting the feeling that people are manipulating my emotions because they see some young single woman that has to ask Daddy or some other man questions to make sure everything is ok. I ask my father and brother in law and other men (and women) questions because I realize that I don't know everything and they have bought houses before and I have not. I ask them because I respect their opinions, which doesn't mean I will take it. Not to mention that my realtor is pretty invested in selling this house for his commission, but that isn't going to happen at the expense of my mortgage payment.
I have a line, we're fast approaching it. I will go to the line and not a step on or over it.

Ugh.

2 comments:

Mommyto3 said...

ahhhh the Linn/Matala soap box.

It's a lovely view up here isn't it?


;>)

Etepay said...

You go get em girl!!!

You're showing them you mean business, I'm so proud of you!!!

Sometimes you just have to play hardball. You're going to be just fine. :)