3.14.2008

Stealing

So can we agree that stealing is wrong?
OK good.
Stealing is wrong.

Is there a minimum amount of theft that has to occur before it's considered stealing or can a value of one cent count? Is it still considered stealing if it was through an error that you aren't responsible for? For example, the business takes your credit card information but never charges it? The cashier or teller gives you change for a $50 not a $20, or a $20 and not at $10? Would it be stealing if you didn't pony up the dough on accident instead of purposely setting out to steal something?
I say yes.
Apparently that's not the case and I just shouldn't feel that way.
Apparently $4.19 or $6 isn't enough money to consider it stealing, it's considered profiting from someones mistake.
Really?
If it's JUST $5 then why don't you pony up the just $5?

Also, I am not allowed to make other people feel bad when I insist on not stealing, and who am I to try to force them to pay for something or judge them? So says the person that then stands up and proclaims that they don't think it's wrong and neither should I. Therefore doing exactly what it was that I was just chastised for doing.

Stealing is wrong. It's just wrong. It doesn't matter how much you steal or if it was your fault or not.
I used the example that when *insert company name here* sends out product that the customer didn't pay for we call them and say pay for it (even at a discount) or we'll arrange for it to be shipped back. You know what I was told? I was told that we have already eaten our food so good luck trying to get that sent back.
Really?
I mean it just baffles my mind that this is a conversation that even needs to be had between adults. You pay for what you use! It doesn't matter at all if you can "get away with it" you PAY, it's the right thing to do.
Another uninvolved person said that it was the principle to pay for it. What was the response? "I don't have any principles so I'm not paying"

Gah!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cha Ching....

j