2.29.2008

30 Day Sex Challenge

So this church called Relevant in Florida is doing a 30 Day Sex Challenge.
Here's a link to their page:
http://www.relevantchurch.com/

The church site so far as I can tell posits that a lot of the issues in relationships (married and single) stem from the lack of sex (or in the single case, to much sex)
I've been a casual observer of this series, reading the pastors blog and others that are talking about it...and if nothing else people are talking!
I just came from reading 1 person that has angrily blogged about this irrelevant and icky sex factor being introduced at church. I've also read a few blogs that talk about how happy they are that people are talking about sex in a way that isn't "bottom shelf brown paper bag"
I'm sort of in the middle.
I enjoy "sex sermons" for what they are intended to be. I enjoy when pastors address this sex thing in a way that helps to redirect people and shine a light on God's plan for sex. Sometimes it can get a bit icky...especially if the pastor says even a little to much about his own struggles...but that's just me (and I will note that a little to much revelation has NOT happened at my home church..just to clear that up)

So married couples in this 30 day challenge are supposed to have sex everyday for 30 days straight. Singletons (non-married) are to abstain from it for 30 days. This is to help the married couples reconnect and spend that time together and non-marrieds to focus on other aspects of their relationship.

One of the comments on a blog kind of annoyed me. The woman posted that it is unbiblical to ask non-marrieds to abstain from sex for only 30 days, the church should be telling them to abstain from sex until they are married.
Ok. Sure. That is the biblical call for people that aren't in a married relationship.
I do not for one minute debate that.
But it's sort of hard sometimes. I mean, I can imagine that it's relatively easy to stay the course when you know you only have 30 days...but a lifetime possibly? That's a lot more difficult.
Maybe we could start by asking people to abstain for 30 days and then support them from there.

I mean, these conversations must happen. I think that married people as much as anyone else need to have someone (hopefully as a couple) to lean on and help them stay connected, especially if they're struggling.
I know that single people do. I know that I've spoke to people about this whole sex thing and they've la dee da'd it and skipped on their way home as if that ONE conversation was going to help anything.
But I've also had someone that I've talked to about it that checks in with me, encourages me, calls me on stuff that I don't really want to be called on.
This I appreciate.

Yeah, it can be uncomfortable sometimes....but God is really stretching me outside of my comfort zone right now and as uncomfortable as He is making me it's refreshing too.
In submitting to his pushes for growth he's also showing me so many things that I never would have seen had I stayed all snug in my comfort zone.

I mean I'm digressing.
People want to be all up in arms and think talking about sex, or asking a congregation to make relational changes to help them be closer to each other and God, is a terrible sin-inducing thing.
It's just not.

Should we not talk about physical abuse because it makes those that don't struggle under the violent hand of a loved one uncomfortable?
Should we not talk about rape because you haven't been?
Should we forget all about talking about financial struggles, honesty, or adultery because these aren't things that affect your life everyday?
I don't think so, do you?

Church isn't a vending machine. You go to worship God and draw closer to him so you can shine a light for HIS name everywhere you go. It's not created just to make you comfortable.
Following Jesus should be outrageous and dangerous and risky and so many people attend churches where it's just not.

There are married people that truly struggle with connecting physically with their spouse.
There are non-married people that truly struggle with seeing their worth outside of their mad bedroom skills, that struggle to think they can continue a dating relationship after the bedroom boundary has been thrown down.
Why can't there also be relevant sermons for them? Why can't we talk about these relational things that often cause people to feel so much shame? Maybe by talking about it people can move forward without the anchor of past sin weighing them down...isn't that what forgiveness through Christ is all about?

One last thing. This particular church is planted (as far as I can tell from what I've read) in a club area, an area where there is a lot of drinking going on. They planted this church specifically for 20-30 year olds.
I think the conversations they're having are pretty relevant myself...although I may only be comfortable with it because my part of the challenge is to keep not having sex (hmmm...that will be tough seeing as I'm not dating)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

...runs to tell C that we're supposed to have sex every day in March...

Seriously though. Great blog. Great idea. Great points.

There have always been those who stand up and say, "We shouldn't be discussing 'X' in the church." They'll probably always be there.

Sometimes I want to look at people, I won't mention names, and ask them; "Do you ever stop and wonder how it would feel to stand before the throne of Almighty God and explain why you prevented His children to draw closer to Him. Cause I'm thinking 'That's the way we've always done it' is probably not gonna cut it with Him."

End rant.