1.17.2008

So much for me considering living there another year

A Rant on apartment life:

Since August I have reported 3-4 broken boards on my 2nd floor balcony 4 times. 3 of those times there were actual workers painting and fixing balconies and they kept saying, "you're on the list"
Guess what? Not fixed yet.
Tuesday I reported that my shower was backed up, my kitchen linoleum right by my living room was pulling up, and a part of the edge of my counter top was broken off, and was able to do so because it was already broken and only glued down before.I also reported the balcony issue for the 4th time and told them I was concerned that mold was growing beneath my carpet because everytime I vacumn black spots pop up everywhere
Tuesday night I came home and found:
My shower fixed
My linoleum fixed, by the maintenance people STAPLING it down.
The edge of my counter fixed by the maintenance people putting the broken off piece back on....with STAPLE, but with about 1/4 of an inch hanging over the edge and the raw wood showing in the middle.
No work order to explain the game plan for carpeting or balcony

Really?

So I called today and asked for an update. Sabrina said that the balcony would get fixed by the end of the month (hmmmm where have I heard THAT before?)
She said that as far as the carpet is concerned it's not mold so it most likely just needs to be cleaned. I said, "Will you do that or am I responsible for that?" She said they could arrange it but I would be charged since (AND I QUOTE) "I'm the one that spilled so much stuff everywhere in my apartment"
I also addressed the stapling issue and was told that's the "only way to fix those types of problems" I patiently told her that I disagreed. She said, well I can't do anything about that.
Really?
Sabrina: "Would you like to talk to the manager?"
Me: yes, please
Sabrina: Ok, well she's out of the office for the next 3-4 hours
Me: Could she call me back?
Sabrina: I suppose
Me: Ok, would you like my number?
Sabrina: 'SIGH' Sure.
Me: 555-eat-crap

So, Sara the manager called me back right as I was going on lunch and I went over everything with her again.
Sara repeated that I was responsible for the carpet cleaning. I said, I can see where you're coming from, but I think that you should work with me since I've paid my rent, on time, for 5 months. I'm paying for a balcony that is unsafe and have in good faith reported it 4 times and nothing is being done about it.
I reiterated the STAPLING of the counter top and floor, I also said that I was pretty sure if I and another person stood on the balcony that it would collapse and I felt it was a safety hazard that they were procrastinating so long in fixing in.
I asked, Would you be willing to split the cost of carpet cleaning with me?
Sara: Well, we had a lot of issues with the guys that were repairing the balcony and they just didn't do what they were supposed to do which is why we're no longer working with them.
Me: um, ok
Sara: Is there anything else?

I'm thinking WTF? Did you help me with my original questions?!
I tell Sara that it isn't my concern what the issue was with the guys fixing or not fixing the balcony. I pay my rent to the apartment complex and they have substantially dropped the ball on my balcony being fixed and now they are not only still not fixing it, they are charging me to clean the carpet in a house with a countertop that is STAPLED DOWN!

Sara: "Ma'am what would you like me to do?"

I'm thinking....stop patronizing me would be a start!
So I said, I would like my countertop fixed with something other then staples. I can live with the ones in the floor, they're not that noticeable. I would like my balcony fixed on the next day that it is warmer then 40 degrees outside. I would like my carpets cleaned and ideally I would like the apartment complex to cover the full cost of it.
She said, well I can't do anything about that without looking at the issues.

------silence-------

more silence

more silence

Me: So.....can you come look at them?
Sara: OK, when?
Me: When can you make it out?
Sara: Probably tomorrow between 4 and 6, I have a lot of meetings I need to go to
Me: OK, will you let me know what the next step is
Sara: OK
ME: will you call me back
Sara: would you like me to?
Me: yes
Sara: Ok, what's your phone number?
Me: (thinking, didn't you JUST call me?!) 555 eat crap

Seriously. Seriously? I mean really?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh... I never thought of using staples to fix my countertops. What a great idea! I guess I will have to remove all the duct tape in my house and replace it with the new "fix-it-all" device--staples!

Woo hoo!

Anonymous said...

I guess the saying "The customer is always right"....can officially be put to rest.

Wii Tennis Champion

Mommyto3 said...

Go higher than Sara. See how fast she moves then. I'm talking like the owner of the complex. Send them the attractive picture of the counter too.

LaCourse said...

I think you should break into her office and just start stapling everything.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with mommy. Keep going to the next person up the chain of command until it gets fixed. Takes pictures, and make sure you document all calls and complaints, no matter how small. Not only does it help get the problem fixed, it covers your back when you get that condo...this woman sounds nasty enough to try and take this stuff out of your deposit.
"Constant Vigilance!"--Mad-Eye Moody