12.21.2007

Maybe then I wouldn't be so selfish

So I went to get my oil changed on my lunch break. I went through McDonalds on my way because I figured I could eat while I waited for my car to be taken care of.
I get to CarX and check my car in, as I'm turning bag in hand to walk to my seat this woman screams out "FOOD! OH LORD I'M SO HUNGRY!"
ok.
So I settle in my chair as she's telling me she's been there since 730 in the morning (it was then 2pm) and hadn't eaten anything.
So I shared my nuggets. I tried giving her more but she wouldn't take more.

Shortly thereafter the guy came in and told her her car was all set and she could go.

There was then 1 other woman and I in the waiting room, and another one entered.
I'm reading "The Problem of Pain" by CS Lewis, and trying to concentrate over Catherine's Court blaring out of the TV in the corner. Both women make phone calls.
Woman 1 is talking about how ready she is for vacation, and on and on and on....regular phone call you know.
Woman 2 is talking about how she works for this guy, who she's also friends with and how apparently last week or so she revealed something about him personally to a co-worker and she fears this has caused co-worker to lose respect for their manager (her friend).

Woman 2 is just carrying on and on about this situation and how she feels like she shouldn't even be upset but she just doesn't know how to make it right, she doesn't want to hurt friend/boss' reputation but sometimes she just wants to confide in people, but she constantly chooses the wrong people.
Then, silence. Pre-commercial, both women are listening to the person on the other end of the phone talk.
All of the sudden woman 2 blurts out...."I just wish I wasn't so damn selfish all the time. This isn't even ABOUT me and I'm making it about ME because I'm so damn selfish. If I was like Christ then I wouldn't be so DAMN SELFISH"

*crickets*

Woman 2 realizes she just shouted that in the middle of the CarX waiting room.

But you know, it got me thinking about how selfish we all are. I was sitting at my desk this morning thinking about how crazed I felt because I felt rushed this morning, and nothing was going right, and I had so much to do and no time to do it, and even if I did I would really just want to relax and take a nap or something. Then it was like someone flicked me between the eyes and told me to get over myself.
Then I overheard this conversation.
I mean, sometimes when stuff like this happens I just look up and say, "OK I GET IT!"
Lately I've begun to wrap myself up in my own interpersonal drama and thoughts of buy buy buy, get get get that this season can so often bring out in people. I find myself thinking less kind things, sleeping in later then necessary thus almost ensuring that I will be just a smidge late for work. I find myself begrudging the time that I spend doing things that I started out wanting to do, but have somehow changed my mind.

Even now.....thinking about me.
I realize there is an extent to which we all must think of ourselves in order to function. But I have a level that I'm comfortable with, and when my self absorbtion raises to much above that line I start rapidly speeding towards the totally and completely self absorbed, then a few weeks (if I'm lucky) or months later...I'm all wrapped up in me and realized that I'm so far away from where I want to be in certain things.

But, I know it will get better, I'll claw my way up. But somedays, I just feel so damn selfish.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A very smart young lady recently told me that realizing you had a problem was not only the first step, but also a very big one.

I have a lot or respect for her and think she was right...

Just sayin...

J