11.07.2007

People today would rather believe a lie that is affirming than a truth that is challenging.

I think that's a great quote. I mean, it seems true to me...but is that only because I find it affirming of my version of the truth?
We're having agreat discussion about the truth over on ye olde forum. Specifically in whether or not Jesus and/or the Judeo-Christian God is the creator of that truth. I feel overwhelmed and under prepared for such conversations.
The reason that this conversation got started for the most part is because "B" as I'll call him, renounced his faith in the Judeo Christian God of his upbringing. He brings up all sort of scientific and technical reasons for this decision.
If any of you know anything at all about me I'm not really the "scientific and techincal" type : )
My relationship with Christ and all the issues surrounding it's beginning are all so visceral and emotional. I don't know how to "defend" my God in the course of those conversations. I don't even know how I feel about the language "defend". Why does God need defending?

I was at cafe for church one Sunday and Joel was telling a story about his gma, about how God is enough and God will speak for himself (admittedly a VERY loose recount of that story). Ben came up and said something about how we as people try so much to add to the gospels, to make it appealing to people when God is enough.
Which I also understand.
But what about for the people that it's not enough for?
What is the best way to compassionately listen to their questions, the best way to represent God to them? What is the best way to not alienate or further "prove" their "proof" for denying the existance of God?
What are the answers to the questions of how to reconcile the God of the OT with the God of the NT? How can I answer that, respond to that, without sounding like a mindless trite bible thumper that has no real compassion for the struggle of belief vs. disbelief?
The answer may be that people aren't really looking for answers. That they're looking for conversations, love, compassion, a shoulder, an ear etc.. But how can I tell the difference?
How can I reconcile this feeling that I should just love and Jesus will make himself clear enough, with this idea that I need to be speaking his truth and word to people, and what does that even mean?

Seriously.....anyone?

No comments: