7.17.2012

Afterthought

Floating into my lungs like smoke from clandestine cigarettes is the memory of you

Days like today my lungs are full of you
The decision was right, it was appropriate and true to the call I hear to live a particular life

But days like today I long to shove all of those things to the darkest and deepest reaches

Forgetting and forgoing all just to hold on to your hand again

The years are racing past me so quickly yet when my mind reaches for you we are still how we always were
No gray hairs
No great distance between our bodies and hearts
Just laughing
Sitting
Talking

I wonder what it’s like on the other side
I wonder if I ever wander unbidden into your thoughts
I wonder if you ever wake with my name on your lips
An afterthought of a dream of what might have been

No comments: