5.21.2010

Anne of Green Gables

Confession: I never read Anne of Green Gables when I was a kid. I might have been a contrary girl and might have not read it jut because all the girls I knew were reading it. My sister read the books, and she loved them. She and my parent would watch the PBS movies over and over again. I always found something else to do, even if it was reading a different book or playing with dolls in the same room while it was on.

A little over two years ago my whole family went on vacation to the Florida Keys (which was AMAZING). We were hanging out at the beach house one night and my Dad stumbled across the PBS version on the TV. I sat and watched it a bit with them and innocently asked Dad what had happened to Anne's parents and how she came to live with the other family (I didn't even know their name!)
I mean, you would have thought I walked up and punched the man in the face. He was flabbergasted that I didn't know that answer. When I told him I had never read the books and that the movies were his, mom and Sharen's thing I'm fairly certain a small part of him died inside. But I left it at that and turned in for the night.

Fast forward to a few months ago when some girls I know were talking about books they read and loved and Anne came up (with Gilbert Blythe of course). In addition my seester had a copy cat flood in her basement and I carried approximately 50,000 pounds of books up her sodden basement stairs. In those book were the trio of Anne book from when he was little. So I took them and read the first book.
It was good. Entertaining and a bit swoony. But, I think I might have waited to long to read them. I'm not really a swoony girl and I'm certainly not really a prim and proper girl.
But it was good and I'm glad I read it.

By the way, I found out that Anne' parent got sick and died and then she bounced from family to family taking care of their kids until she ended up in an orphanage.

1 comment:

Katy said...

I have to be honest... I've watched (and now own) all three Anne mini-series...but I've never red the books either. I haven't even tried. Maybe I should? I love the movies. I love how Anne is so independent and maybe even not quite so sure of herself. Actually, she reminds me a lot of you... well, you with red hair and no parents.