3.18.2009

I have learned

I am a fairly disorganized person, personally speaking.
At work and in leading outreach I am organized within an inch of my life. I (almost always) hit goals and meet/exceed expectations. I'm beginning to feel proud of those facts.
But personally speaking, I sort of suck at life.
We were talking in our last meeting with Ben about our strengths as decided by Strengths Finder online test. I was mentioning this fact when Jill, Ben's wife and all around lady extraordinaire, pointed out that my 5 strengths added up to me being very relationally driven and the issue might be that no one is 'driving' me to be organized personally.
I don't have someone that I have to account for my spending, saving (or lack thereof), bill paying habits to. I just traipse along and more often then not bury my head in the sand.

At this very moment, I couldn't tell you accurately how much several of my monthly bills are. Does that matter? Probably not, assuming I make a gajillion dollars and don't have to worry about having the right amount of money in the right account at the right time of the month. It may also not matter if I had a budget (that I stuck to) and knew specifically how much 'play' room I had each pay period. But neither of those things apply to my bank account or my life.
Therefore, I'm thinking it matters a lot that I don't know these things.

I'm really not asking any of you (coughSharencough) to beat me over the head grilling me about my bills and financial organization. All that will accomplish is a feeling of panic that I have to fancy pants dance around the topic so that I don't look like a financial asshole.
I just wanted to say that I suck at it. So that people know; because when people know I will work really hard to not suck at something.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Know what you don't suck at?

Making me smile.

Your honesty and willingness to share is inspiring.

I wish I had half the class you do.

Love you.