8.02.2008

Turpitude

I'm watching a documentary on the gold rush and birth of California as a state this morning. The show vacillates between the shiny promise of gold and the dark murder without impunity of the native americans that got in the way of the gold rush.
Often I am at a loss to the darkness under the glitter of our country, the lengths we go to to get what it is we are "owed". But that's not fair is it? Doesn't everyone do that?
Don't I do that sometimes?
Sure it isn't murder, but the depth of the possibility of the depravity of humanity sometimes catches me off balance, confuses and disorients me.
What's worse, is how much better and more evolved we all are at explaining away our depravity and insisting there is no need for a God that redeems

I love PBS on Saturday mornings, especially when I have some time to watch. But this morning I was confronted again with what it is that we all are capable of if we run unchecked and untempered.

No comments: