5.14.2008

When it's not humilty, it's shame and brokeness

On my way home from work tonight I listened to a Rob Bell sermon called Grace and Peace. I am totally listening to it again. It was an amazing sermon overall, but at the end Rob's brother gave his testimony, and I cried. I cried because of what he has overcome, I cried because of what he is doing with his journey and how God is working through him because of it. I cried because I recognized so many threads in his story as threads in my own life. I cried because of the awesomeness of the God that saved us both and how someone as big as God can become small enough to communicate through a whisper to the very depths of our hearts.
Rob used definitions of grace as follows ( he got them from someone else but I have no idea who):
a favor done without expectation of return
we have been given a gift without any expectation of return, the absolutely free expression of the love of God

I mean there are so many things swirling around in my head about this sermon that I can't really focus on any one of them at the same time, it was just such an amazing talk at a time that I just so needed to hear an encouraging talk about grace and peace.
It's late, and I've been staring at this screen trying to figure out what exactly it is that I want to share about what moved me so deeply in this sermon....but I just can't figure it out.

Maybe tomorrow.

No comments: