1.08.2008

I get the feeling I'm not supposed to talk about this

http://www.forthebibletellsmeso.org/index2.htm

FILM SYNOPSIS
"Does God really condemn loving homosexual relationships? Is the chasm separating Christianity from gays and lesbians too wide to cross? Is the Bible an excuse to hate? These questions and more are answered in this award-winning documentary, which brilliantly reconciles homosexuality and Biblical scripture - and reveals that religious anti-gay bias is based almost solely upon a misinterpretation of the Bible. Through the experiences of five very normal, Christian, American families - including those of former House Majority Leader Richard Gephardt and Episcopal Bishop Gene Robinson - we discover how people of faith handle the realization of having a gay child or family member.
Offering healing, clarity and understanding to anyone caught in the crosshairs of scripture and sexual identity, this landmark film "boldly takes on a loaded topic and examines it both intellectually and emotionally; the result may well leave you blinking away a few tears." (Seattle Times)"
This was the start of a thread on the forum. I'm actually pretty interested in seeing this. There are so many voices out there decrying homosexuals. There are a great many people that I've talked to personally that are so filled with condemnation towards homosexuals that they are screaming to loud to hear their own sin. To me, how can the start of a conversation about homosexuality start with the "you're going to hell" sentence? Aren't we all going to hell if we are separated from God? Without a saving relationship with Jesus Christ aren't we sitting in the bobsled to hell right alongside those we point fingers at?
I have quite a few friends that are gay, and quite a few people that I've come into contact with that are...but aren't quite friends...more like people I meet along the way you know. A lot of them, their most pressing concern and grief (although not the only one) is this. Does God still love me?
Yes. In no uncertain terms. God loves us all. He cherishes relationships with us all, he desires relationships with us that are separated from him. He wants these relationships so badly that he sent his Son Jesus to take the burden for us and die to redeem us.

So why, where scripturally does it say that being gay is worse then adultery, worse then murder, worse then pre-marital sex of the opposite sex variety? Where does it say that being gay is worse then "messing around" without having intercourse outside of marriage?
Jesus said that to even lust in your mind is committing adultery. Damn. I guess I'm guilty of that sin. Jesus said a lot of things. But he said to love.

What is the best way for you to receive information? Are you more able to accept it when plastered on a poster screaming that God hates you? When someone is decrying everything that you feel and condemning you to hell when they are slipping there themselves?
Unlikely.
The conversations that I've been able to have with people, gay or straight have come after entering into community with them. Loving them. Showing them that I truly care for their well being and salvation, not just adding a notch to my salvation belt. (which that's a WHOLE other tangent)

Ben talked at church on Sunday (pimp: http://www.4cornerschurch.com/message_pop.php?id=167&type=audio) about looking forward in 2008. It was a great talk on what it is that we can do to improve ourselves in the upcoming year. It was preceded by an equally if not greater talk on leaving behind those things that weigh us down the previous week. (pimp2: http://www.4cornerschurch.com/message_pop.php?id=167&type=audio)
But one of the things he talked about was believers relationships with seekers. People that are a little distrusting of God and "his people", people whose hearts are stirring with this idea that God could maybe be real. Please keep in mind that I'm in no way indicating that people who are gay are unable to be believers. I know two people in particular and a few more that are pursuing a relationship with God, with God. They are seeking out God, conversations, books, his book the bible and soaking up what that has to offer them.

What is the best way to have those relationships?
Should we hold ourselves separately from things that are not "of God"? What does that even mean? If we believe that God made everything and everyone....then who is not "of God"?
All I'm saying is. I'm excited that someone is talking about this on a larger scale basis. Someone that is not from that church that shall not be named that holds up contemptuous signs at funeral.
How can we reconcile that God hates someone? I mean I really don't know so I'm asking. How can we as believers aim to be more like Christ and yet we espouse hateful nasty things at people that we think need him the most?
A sin is a sin is a sin. The only sin (I think, I'm no biblical scholar people so don't take my word on it) that God said is greater is blasphemy of the holy spirit, maybe hypocrisy too but like I said I'm just not sure.
How is someone who is gays sin greater then mine? I've cheated, lied, stolen, engaged in lustful behavior, been quick to anger and slow to forgive. I mean, just because I like fellas and not ladies I'm somehow above other people? I am having a difficult time reconciling that with the God that is moving in this world.

Yet, I get the feeling that I'm not supposed to be talking about this. Like if I ask these questions I'll be estranged from two communities that I very much enjoy moving in.
I am not sure that I'll ever understand how people can think the most effective form of ministry, of evangelism, is to tell people how disgusting they are in the eyes of God.
Sin is sin. I'm not saying that God doesn't find it disgusting. I know that sin is what separates us from God. But before I was a believer, that night I talked to Steve for 3 hours about my fear of Christianity....if he would have told me that God was disgusted by my shortcomings, by my sin, by me, I would have hardened my heart and moved on to the next bottle, next razor, next night at the bar. When I talk to people that are so broken and weighed down by their "not being good enough" for their parents, spouse, kids....the last thing I would think they need is someone saying..."yeah, you're right...you are to disgusting". I mean, can you imagine?
But Steve said to me that he was an asshole and God still loved him and moved in his life in a tangible and deep way. Steve said that God loved me, that God wanted to be in a relationship with me through his Son Jesus Christ. Steve said that my unabating grief would be worked through, my thoughts of suicide would abate, my tendency to disconnect emotionally and physically from the fellas would lessen and I would be able to be in healthy relationships again. Steve said it would take time, it would take work and tears and maybe even some therapy if necessary. But Steve gave me hope not condemnation, love not hate, a hug and not a kick in the ass. Steve gave me a Jesus I wasn't afraid of, and honestly....I can't imagine doing anything but striving to do that same thing for anyone I come in contact with.

Wow, I'm like way off topic or something. But heck, why stop now.
I think this is why I love this outreach stuff so much. People, in their everyday walking around lives are sometimes so convinced there is no good near them, no kindness or hope. It sometimes can seem silly that we give people gas cards, that we give them cotton candy or phone cards. It can seem odd that we would pay for a total strangers meal and walk out without waiting for or even expecting a thank you.
When I was at my lowest, my worst and was most convinced that there was no one who could really see me. It was these small acts of kindness. These little beams of love that would come from someone just saying hi, holding a door open for me, or offering to put my cart away at the grocery.
Jesus, he doesn't always look like a Jewish man from Nazareth. Sometimes he looks like you and me just taking the time to start a conversation with love. You'd be surprised that most of the time the person changed, softened, growing...is you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you.

I've read this particular entry 4 times and each time it gives me a little more strength and come that much closer to finding the bridge between the chasm that I feel in my heart.

I wish all christians saw it through your eyes, or had to live in my shoes for one day.

Thanks you.

Anonymous said...

To me the biggest sin of the church, as a whole, is that the very people that Christ has called to spread His message of redemption are spending so much time condemning everyone that they forget what they're supposed to be doing.

There are no red letters in my Bible that say "He who calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. Except for 'x', 'y' and 'z'. Those people are beyond the reach of my compassion."

Why is it that I can walk into a church, be greeted by the congregation, warmly welcomed by the pastor and staff, and encouraged to come back for future visits. I am able to hear the Word of God read, listen to the sermon, sing the songs, and ultimately I am able to accept the invitation at the end of the service.

If, however, I walk into the same church wearing a t-shirt that says "I'm gay", it's like a whole different group of people. I'm not so welcome anymore. No one in the congregation wants to shake my hand and welcome me. I can sing along to the songs, but I might be singing off key or out of time, because for some reason, no one else is sitting nearby to harmonize with.

It's sad, really. But I don't feel the sadness in the bottom of my heart so much any more. It's too overwhelmed by the righteous anger that rises up inside of me.

How dare anyone take it upon themselves to decide who is or isn't worthy of the Gift of Salvation?!

Sorry, I'm writing a blog entry in your comments... here's your soapbox... thanks for letting me borrow it.

Jake

ellenjane said...

Jake you write a blog entry in my comments anytime you want dear. They're grrrreat!