12.07.2007

On Customer Service

I work in customer service. I have worked in customer service essentially my whole earning an actual paycheck life. (with the exception of two years, during which other branches in the bank were considered my "customers"). I think that I do a pretty darn good job customer serving. I like it a lot. I like making people's problems better, or commiserating with them when something can't be fixed, or at least not the way they wish it would be. However, I am an actual human being you know. So maybe when you call you could remember that? I'd really super appreciate it.
It makes me cringe when I hear people talking about customer service, because it will always be bad. I mean, people call customer service numbers with a huge chip on their shoulders about whatever it is that has inconvenienced them. I get it. Life is hard. Even if it's a mistake that you made then it's probably still my fault and I should probably bend over and take it like a good customer service rep.
However. Might I petition to you one teensy eensy thing?
Be kind. Remember that the person your talking to, railing against, calling stupid and ignorant is an actual person too. I mean, I'm not asking you to do anything so drastic as consider their feelings or anything, but maybe you could treat them a step above the scum on the bottom of the shit on the bottom of your shoe. I'm not even asking you to give them leeway because their life may be falling apart and they're working hard to keep it together and help you meet whatever instant gratification need that you may have as much as they can within the bounds of their companies policy. I'm just asking you to treat other people the way you would want to be treated if you were on the other side of the phone/counter.
I'm sure that we all have come across ungrateful, spiteful, and mean spirited customers in whatever field it is that we work in. How did it make you feel when someone treated you like that? If it made you feel good, coughmasochistcough, then keep going. But if it made you feel like crap, like you can't do anything right, then maybe you could take a deep breath and think before you speak.
Please?
Maybe try this Christmas season to remember that the holidays aren't about ruining a clerks day and getting them fired. Maybe, and I know this is tough, remember that this holiday isn't about your entitlement to be treated like royalty and waited on hand and foot. Maybe, when you're holding something that you would like to know the price of, you could turn it over and look for a price tag before asking a cashier that is chipping away at a 10 person deep line at the register or inturrupt a clerk on the floor that is already helping someone that actually needs it.
Just a thought : )




On a completely unrelated note. How CUTE is my nephew!


1 comment:

MCAC said...

((((((((HUG)))))))))))))

every customer service rep. needs those.

I've been dealing with customers most of my grown life as well and I am a firm believer that if everyone had to work customer service of some sort for a min. of 1 year, life as we know it would be VERY different.