11.02.2007

Halloween Bash and the definition of selfish

So Halloween Bash...how fun was that?! I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off from 1 until about 8 or 830 that night. I was running a little low on energy by then but as long as I could sit I could have sat around talking for hours more.
I was so nervous about how things were going to go off, I was nervous that the volunteers weren't going to show, or show and then abandon their posts but they didn't (of course I have no idea why I thought that). It was a blast wandering around just chatting with people, pointing them in the direction of where they were looking to go, helping them register, drawing the names for the prizes.

Also, I knew it was going to be cool to see the helicopter, but I wasn't prepared for my regression to age 8 thinking "AWESOME!"....it was super cool.
I talked to so many families that thought it was so "nice" of us to throw this fun free event for the community, so many people said they loved doing things like this with their families but often couldn't afford to because of so many other obligations. How great it that?
It's so hard when you're saddled with debt, or just squeeking by pay check to pay check when you're on your own. But when you have kids, I can only imagine. They see all their friends doing all these great fun things, but they can't because mom and dad can't afford to. It must break so many hearts. How great it is that on Wednesday some of those families could do something fun, safe, and FREE with their kids, without worrying how they were going to say "no" when their kids wanted souveneirs that they could ill afford.

Just awesome. I still feel a little high from the whole experience!
Even as exhausted as I felt Wednesday night and Thursday, I was still itching to get going on the next outreach, the next project to just love on people.

Oh, another thing that was so awesome, how well everyone worked together! Even S, who I thought would be moping around and all! Everytime I saw her she was smiling ear to ear, chatting with STRANGERS and having a blast. She got a little shy at the end but I ran her down to make sure I gave her a hug.
There were so many "new" volunteers there too. People that I haven't seen at other outreaches. Which was awesome!
The thing is, corporate outreach doesn't take a huge investment by most people. The core team and the layer after that have a huge commitment, but people that are just serving at the event, it's easy as pie! Show up, smile, have fun, and you are changed! How awesome is that?!


Well, my endless call with FedEx is over so it's back to work!

No comments: